Remote Working- Protecting your personal data and your companies. Today’s post looks at security a little more and how to utilise it to help keep both your data and data stored by your company safe.
• Access to devices you use for work should be limited only to you, especially when the device is provided by the company. This can be tricky, especially for small businesses/freelancers and in the current environment of home-schooling, but wherever possible and especially if the device is provided by your company, don’t let other family members have access to it.
• Use a Virtual Private Network to access work accounts. Keep the software on your home router updated and secured with unique and substantial passwords/phrases. Don’t connect to work accounts through public WIFI unless using a VPN.
• Separate your networks, have work and personal devices on separate WIFI networks.
• Keep software updated, before you connect to your workplace network ensure the devices you are connecting with are running on the most up to date version as updates will often increase security of applications and devices.
• Set auto log outs in case you walk away from your device and forget to do it.
• Use multifactor authentication whenever possible in addition to unique passwords for each individual account; remember you can use a password manager (subject to company approval) to store these passwords encrypted.
Your personal information is valuable to businesses, your purchase history, IP address and location info all help them build up a picture of you and your habits. This year the National Cyber Security Alliance is encouraging people to ‘own their privacy’ and here are a few ways in which you can do that by helping protect your own data and limit the amount of data you share.
• Weigh the benefits you receive from a company against the amount of data they are asking for to help you make an informed decision. • Be mindful about what apps you use and what permissions you give them, think about who gets that information.
• Do a quick check on which apps you have installed, remove any you no longer use and when setting new ones up think about whether they really need your geographic location, access to photo albums and contacts.
• Check in on your privacy settings on the web services you use, making sure they are set to a level of sharing information that you are happy with.
• Share with care- think about what you are posting online and who can see that information. What does the post reveal- locations, pets owned and their names, dates of birth, the first school you went to? These are often things used in passwords and security questions!
This week we celebrate Data Privacy Day on Thursday the 28th This is such an important topic for everyone who uses any technology and lets face that is pretty much everyone!
As individuals we have a level of responsibility for what data we give out and to who, and as businesses we have a responsibility for looking after our consumer and personnel data that we have access to, this feels especially relevant with the number of people now working from home!
Across the week we will be sharing some information and hints and tips on how to keep your personal data safe and how as businesses it is so important to protect peoples data and gain trust from consumers.
Wow can’t believe it was a whole year ago today that we were on our way home from a great weekend of expanding our knowledge! We got to meet and chat to some awesome people, find out about their company and their products and listen to some really inspiring speakers from within Microsoft and the wider tech world at the #msignitethetour Bringing Bringing back our fresh ideas and insights on scalability, emerging technologies and skills to our little corner of #dorsetbusiness
QuikIn is now available from Google Play for android devices! QuikIn, formally COVIDCollect, makes for easy and quick registration of attendance for activities, events and venues. For more information visit our website www.c3software.co.uk/quikin/ or visit Google play ow.ly/XVlg50Dakxd
• Repetition, reduces human error. Execute the exact same test, over and over. • Early and fast feedback. As codebases are shared and new features are implemented, shared code is tested ensuring existing features are not broken. • Reduces time spent debugging and chasing errors. Once set up, debugging can be reduced from days to hours. • Boost confidence. Increase both the businesses and the customers’ confidence in the development of their software. • Overall cost reduction. Enforces structured, maintainable, and manageable code, which in the long run reduces time and costs on projects.
There are many others and of course every business and project is unique and brings its own challenges. Whilst it may not be possible to automate all testing, there are lasting benefits to adopting automated testing. Remember to establish which test cases to automate, find the right automated testing tool and create automated tests that are resistant to changes in the UI and to test early and test often!
C3 Software is a Fasthosts Technology Partner! Signing up to Fasthosts products through us, such as webhosting, cloud backup and servers, means not only will you get a one off £30 credit but you will also get 5% off on your services for life!
Furthermore, signing up through our partnership scheme allows us to manage your hosting and products for you – taking the stress out of managing your technical services.
To sign up via our partnership and receive your discounts either follow the link below or visit our website ow.ly/yfm350CtSSQ For terms & conditions visit Fasthosts, available via the link.
SSDT It appears many developers have not come across SQL Server Developer Tools ‘SSDT’ despite working with #sqlserver for years.
If you’re one of them, did you know you can create a Visual Studio solution for your database, benefit from source control, benefit from reference integrity, benefit from continuous integration? An example: If someone changes a column name, any stored procedures referenced to the old name are now broken. Visual Studio will not compile and the broken references are then highlighted to you.
I am finding many corporates, even highly skilled developers and contractors are unaware of these powerful tools provided free of charge as part of Visual Studio.
If you want to talk to me about SSDT and it’s power then get in touch via our website www.c3software.co.uk/contact-us/ To book in a call or a zoom meeting with Carl.
New Customer Review! We do enjoy hearing about how our products are helping people, especially to adapt during this ever-changing time. Thanks for the lovely feedback from Parish ‘COVIDCollect has shaved hours off our weekly admin. It seems everyone quite enjoys getting their QR codes beeped on entry to the church. We feel safe, they feel safe so a win win for all. Thank you C3 Software.’
COVIDCollect, helping New Forest Runners get back to doing what they love!
It’s a well known fact that exercise and sports is as good for your mental well being as it is for your physical well being. Being able to get back to sport as a social activity is for many just as important (albeit socially distanced).
press release: covidcollect customer testimonial New forest runners adopt COVIDCollect to manage Test & Trace data SEPTEMBER 2020 A running club in the New Forest has adopted an Android application to…
Our COVIDCollect app is now available! As everyone settles into the new normal and businesses are adapting to the new way of running, C3 Software has developed an app to help organisations and businesses, that need to collect and maintain visitor records quickly and efficiently, for the purpose of Track and Trace. Here’s a little more info about the app and how it came about….
C3 Software has created COVID Collect; an easy-to-use Android app, which provides a secure and GDPR-compliant method of collecting records of staff, customers and visitors to help with NHS Test and Tr…
There is a new tool in the test and trace arsenal, far superior to the clipboard and pen. C3 Software is proud to announce today the release of COVIDCollect. A simple Android tablet/phone app that replaces the non GDPR Compliant clipboard and pen. Click here for More Info on how COVIDCollect can improve your businesses GDPR compliance when maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace. #c3softwarenews #techbusiness #softwaredevelopment #dorsetbusiness #bournemouthbusiness… See MoreSee Less
We have introduced a new license model for SpecFlow+ and SpecMap. This new licensing model is account-based instead of requiring a license key. You need to sign up for a free personal SpecFlow account…
I am often surprised at the lack of SSDT usage within enterprises. If you’re not familiar with SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) then I highly recommend looking at this course on Pluralsight #c3softwarenews #softwaredeveloper #techtalk